[389-users] Add attributes to user objects.

Techie techchavez at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 16:21:42 UTC 2009

Hello,
I want to associate servers to user objects in my directory using
attributes that contain the server names. I want to do this so I can query
the directory based on the attributes.
In the end I would like to map drives based upon a attribute that
contains a server name or at least gather the needed server names by
searching the user..
So for example I have an existing user object..

dn: uid=test_user,dc=example,dc=com
title: test account
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: person
objectClass: top
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowaccount
homeDirectory: /export/home/test_user
gidNumber: 1000
uidNumber: 1000
loginShell: /bin/bash
sn: user
cn: test_user
st: Wyoming
mail: a at a.com
givenName: test
uid: test_user

Now I have many users with drives on different servers based upon
their geographic location. I would like to add the server names to the
user object using an attribute. For example server1: mp3 server,
server2:mp4server.. With the object classes I have i do not see a
attribute that I can use that jumps out at me.

What attribute can I use without having to extend the schema? Is there
an ext_attribute like Active Directory uses?
I am looking into the schema now but perhaps someone has already done this.

The account would look something like below with the server1, and
server2 attributes. I understand I would need to create an objectClass
if I cannot find existing attributes but I hope to avoid that. There
has got to be some auxiliary attributes I can use right?

dn: uid=test_user,dc=example,dc=com
title: test account
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: organizationalPerson