[389-users] Db-link setup question

Reinhard Nappert rnappert at juniper.net
Mon Jul 20 19:16:31 UTC 2009

I do not feel very confident using chained links:

When I  change my configuration to

dn: cn=serverBlink,cn=chaining database,cn=plugins,cn=config
objectclass: top
objectclass: extensibleObject
objectclass: nsBackendInstance
nsslapd-suffix: ou=region B,ou=people,o=suffix
nsfarmserverurl: ldap://serverB:389/
nsmultiplexorbinddn: cn=proxy admin,cn=config
nsmultiplexorcredentials: secret
cn: serverBlink

dn: cn="ou=region B,ou=people,o=suffix",cn=mapping tree,cn=config
objectclass: top
objectclass: extensibleObject
objectclass: nsMappingTree
nsslapd-state: backend
nsslapd-backend: serverBlink
nsslapd-parent-suffix: "ou=people,o=suffix "
cn: "ou=region B,ou=people,o=suffix"

Server A proxies the correct search to Server B. However, the response is empty if I search for an existing entry of Server B. I also see the search in Server B's access file, but the response is empty. If I contact Server B with the proxy admin credentials, it returns the existing object. This tells me that the ACI's are working.
Do you have an explanation for that?

Even more disturbing: After I restart Server A, the entire chaining is broken. I get again err=32, but this time server A even does not perform the search twoards Server B.

-Reinhard