[389-users] Monitoring recovering

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Tue Jun 2 14:39:21 UTC 2009

Rich Megginson wrote:
> Emmanuel BILLOT wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When DS is crashed, sometimes logs sayes "Recovering Database" and i
>> have to wait for minutes before it re run.
>> Is it possible to watch what DS is doing (recovering progression ?)
> No, not really.  I suppose you could strace the process.  I think all
> of the work is being done inside of berkeley db, I'm not sure how to
> get that information.
There's a way to enable recovery logging in BDB, and have the output go
to the DS logs.
Unfortunately I don't remember how to do it, but it probably isn't hard
to figure out from the code.
Having done that, the progress can be seen by tailing the log.

There's a more advanced progress monitoring mechanism in BDB now, but
the DS doesn't use it.