[389-users] Problem to create a root entry

jean-Noël Chardron Jean-Noel.Chardron at dr15.cnrs.fr
Tue Jun 9 14:42:06 UTC 2009

hello,

Rich Megginson a écrit :
> jean-Noël Chardron wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> On a fresh install of a 389 directory server  on fedora 10, I tried
>> to create a root entry as described in the book Administration of
>> Redhat Directory Server
>>
>> I tried some possibilities with directory console or command line,
>> the behavior is hazardous :
>>
>> in command line i tried this below, but the branch dc=ad,... doesn't
>> appear in the directory console
>>
>> [root at aragon db]# ldapmodify -a -x   -D "cn=directory manager" -w secret
>>
>> dn: cn=adData,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config
>> objectclass: extensibleObject
>> objectclass: nsBackendInstance
>> nsslapd-suffix: dc=ad,dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr
>>
>> adding new entry "cn=adData,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config"
>>
>> dn: cn="dc=ad,dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr",cn=mapping tree,cn=config
>> objectclass: top
>> objectclass: extensibleObject
>> objectclass: nsMappingTree
>> nsslapd-state: backend
>> nsslapd-parent-suffix: "dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr"
>> nsslapd-backend: adData
>> cn: dc=ad,dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr
>>
>> adding new entry "cn="dc=ad,dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr",cn=mapping
>> tree,cn=config"
>>
>> but the branch dc=ad,dr=15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr doesn't appear in the
>> directory console
>>
>> If I ommit the parent (nsslapd-parent-suffix: "dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr")
>> and i create a independant branch, the new root suffix
>> (dc=ad,dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr) appear in the directory console but in
>> the tab "directory" I cannot
>> create the new root Object
>>
>> In fact my original problem is that I am never able to create a new root
>> object in the Directory under the root sufix dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr
>> even after creating the database. In the directory console the link
>> 'New Root Object' is not active, then I cannot create the root object
>> "dc=ad,dc=dr15,dc=cnrs,dc=fr"
>>
>> Can somebody tell me what is wrong or misconfigured
> This is one of the only operations the console admin cannot do.  You
> must log into the console as cn=directory manager in order to create a
> root entry.

I am loging into the console as cn=directory manager !!
(I suppose the console is started by the application "fedora-idm-console"
I write in the Management Console : the User ID (cn=Directory Manager)
the password (of course) and the Administration URL :
(http://localhost:9830 )
Is there an another way to log ?

>> Thanks
>>

>> jnc