[389-users] which user must have access to /var/run/dirsrv ?

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 16:29:49 UTC 2009

dima vasiletc wrote:
> On 06/15/2009 08:08 PM, Nathan Kinder wrote:
>> dima vasiletc wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> When i try start dirsrv i have error
>>> Failed to delete old semaphore for stats file
>>> (/var/run/dirsrv/slapd-MY-DOMAIN-COM.stats). Error 13 (Permission
>>> denied).
>> Note that this is referring to a semaphore that coordinates access to
>> the stats file, not the stats file itself.
>>
>> Did you previously install and remove a DS instance with the same
>> name on this system?  Did you recently change the user that this DS
>> instance runs as?
>>>
>>> but access for dirsrv user permited.
>>> also
>>>

>> --
>>
> Thanks.
> After reboot  resolved.
Posix named semaphores are removed during a reboot, which is why the
reboot fixed your problem.  A reboot is not necessary to clean up a left
over semaphore.

You can see the current named semaphores and their ownership by doing a
'ls -l /dev/shm'.  For DS, we create a semaphore named something similar
to "sem.slapd-localhost.stats".  I believe simply removing this would
have fixed your problem as well.