[389-users] Help Needed -----Linux Ldap Client machine unable to login Fedors DS

jean-Noël Chardron Jean-Noel.Chardron at dr15.cnrs.fr
Thu Jun 18 11:08:08 UTC 2009

Hakuna Matata a écrit :
> This is what it is returning....
>
> i guess i have to rebuild the client with CentOS 5.2 (though i have no
> reason but still).....

not sure
I did a mistake about ldapsearch so I resume the situation :

You have a client Centos 5.3 with ip adress : 192.168.5.4
You have a server FDS with ip adress : 192.168.5.1
You have a user in FDS test01 with dn:
cn=test01,ou=Users,dc=vfds,dc=local with uid = t01, uid number = 2223,
gid = 2223, home dir = /home/test and login shell= /bin/test

You want to log in with user test01 on the client station through the
FDS server

So you check the configuration of the client :
/etc/nsswitch is correct
/etc/ldap.conf is correct
/etc/pam.d/system-auth is correct
/etc/pam.d/login is correct
you can ping from client to server and vice-versa

ok now you have to check the server side, this can be done with the
tools ldapsearch, from the client you make a request with ldapsearch to
get the information from the FDS server
But before this, I didn't see your misconfiguration of the user test01
in the attribute login shell = /bin/test . I see it just now.
This attribute must be a valid shell on the client i.e /bin/bash or
/bin/sh or what else you want but a valid shell, I don't think that
/bin/test permit you to log in the client (on centos5.3 the program
/bin/test doesn't exist !!)

thus the first thing you can do is to change the attribute login shell
from /bin/test to /bin/bash
then try to login  the station with user t01.

For further verification of the server side you can do a request
ldapsearch :

ldapsearch  -x  -h 192.168.5.1    -b "dc=vfds,dc=local"  'uid=t01'
and show the output