[389-users] Registering to a central admin server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 19:18:35 UTC 2009

Chris Phillips wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com
> <mailto:rmeggins at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Chris Phillips wrote:
>

>            Try editing /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf to point to the
>            correct server, then try register-ds-admin.pl
>

>         I'm afraid I'm still in the dark here. The adm.conf is used by
>         the admin server to contact the DS instance to be managed? I
>         thought the logic was the other way round, with the DS server
>         "phoning home" to register itself to the Admin. Either way,
>         the adm.conf then only lists one server in the ldapurl, and
>         the other two attributes referencing the server, sie and isie
>         both get changed to match the server in the ldapurl as part of
>         the registration, removing all other references to the server
>         that was in there. So whilst I thought my modifications to
>         adm.conf (changing the ldapurl from server b to a) on server b
>         and running register-ds-admin.pl on server b would add server
>         b to the admin console on server a. Instead it *replaced*
>         server b with server a on the admin console on server b,
>         meaning both admin consoles were then registered to administer
>         server a. Not anything like what I wanted!
>
>         Any pointers?
>
>     Change adm.conf back to point to which server you want to use as
>     your main server, and then run setup-ds-admin.pl -u
>

> My main what server? DS or Admin?
DS.  The directory server which has the master copy of o=NetscapeRoot
which contains all of the configuration information for all of the admin
servers and directory servers in your organization.
> As I understand that, that will register whatever server is listed as
> the ldapurl as the only instance in the Admin server on the box I'm
> running this on. Correct?
No.

> Am I being deluded about this? I'm expect to log in to an admin server
> with the idm console, and see a list of 8 different machines listed
> there, and be able to browse the ldap tree of any of those machines,
Yes.
> including their o=NetscapeRoot
No.  Only the master configuration DS will have o=NetscapeRoot.  The
other servers should not have o=NetscapeRoot (unless you have set up
MMR/failover for o=NetscapeRoot).
> and be able to manage ACI's, password policies and such... This is the
> model you recommend, no?
This is the recommended model.