[389-users] Programmatically / dynamically deriving an attribute?

Aaron Mahler amahler at sbc.edu
Wed Jun 24 21:53:02 UTC 2009

  Hello!

   I'm still getting into the swing of LDAP, but I'm starting to get
things functioning fairly well.

   I've run into one issue and I'm not sure how to tackle it from a
conceptual standpoint.

   Our Fedora/389 (whichever I should call it now) LDAP server is
intended to be the main, core LDAP server for campus. Our mail server
(an older version of CommuniGate Pro), however, is remaining the
primary source of user info for the time being. It provides names,
UIDs, passwords, etc., and now successfully talks to the LDAP server
via CommuniGate's "Directory Integration" feature.

   By this, I mean any email account creations, modifications, etc.,
on the mail server are being provided to the LDAP server pretty
seamlessly. Applications can now point to the Fedora server for use in
authentication, various other directory queries, etc.

   One problem, though, is that CommuniGate does not provide a mail
attribute - just UID, real name, some custom fields of ours (mapped to
proper fields in the LDAP scheme), etc. So queries to the Fedora
server don't return a mail field which, in our case, should just be
uid with @sbc.edu appended. It's causing some trouble in various areas.

   Is there a way I can configure Fedora to dynamically either fill
the mail field itself by combining uid with @sbc.edu on creates/
updates or, when answering requests for the mail attribute,
dynamically creating that response?

   Is there a plug-in or some other trigger mechanism for doing this
kind of thing?

Thanks!
  - Aaron

--