[389-users] problem with mmr.pl script

Del del at babel.com.au
Fri Jun 26 06:25:35 UTC 2009

Hi all,

There is a problem I'm getting (and I've seen it reported elsewhere on
the mailing list) with mmr.pl as described on this page:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:MultiMasterReplication

When running the script I get the error:

failed to add changelog entry: failed to start changelog; error - 8 at
./mmr.pl line 253, <DATA> line 342.

The solution is to create the changelog entries manually as per the
instructions on this page:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/8.0/Managing_Replication-Configuring_Multi_Master_Replication.html
(Section 8.5.1 just the first part).

... then to re-run the mmr.pl script.  It will issue a minor complaint
about the changelogs already existing but otherwise it will work.

I am not sure but I think "8" in the mmr.pl error message seems to
relate to standard LDAP error code 8 which is "Strong authentication
required".  So for some reason despite me not having SSL enabled on my
directory server (this is an entirely internal deployment) it seems to
want me to have SSL authentication or other strong authentication to
create the changelog entries.

I have done an LDIF export of cn=config before and after manually
creating the changelog entries in the directory using the console and
diffed these, and the entries created seem to be exactly the same as
those that should be created in the mmr.pl script, so I'm not otherwise
sure why the mmr.pl script should be failing to create these entries.

This is with Fedora Directory Server 1.2.0 on RHEL 5.3.

--
Del
Babel Com Australia