[389-users] Single Master, Multiple Slave with NO Configuration Server Question

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 16:09:46 UTC 2009

Vince Tingey wrote:
> Hi everyone,  I posted this last week but nobody replied.  I thought I
> would send it out there one more time as I'd really like to know what
> you experts think.  The documentation about what benefits using a
> configuration server gives you is lacking.

It allows you to do centralized server management - manage all servers
from a single console.

> Just wondering if there are any problems I should be aware of if I
> want to setup a single master multiple slave scenario WITHOUT using
> the master as a configuration server and just replicating our
> directory database (not o=Netscape Root).  I'm ok having to connect to
> the slave admin servers individually instead of them all showing up in
> the console when I connect to the master admin server.  Are there any
> other drawbacks?
No, not really,  If you don't want the centralized console, then you
don't have to use it.  Many Fedora DS users don't use the console/admin
server at all and just manage everything directly with scripts and web
based tools.