[Fedora-directory-users] FDS and PagedResultsControl

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Mar 2 11:38:39 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Normal users on the directory are subject to an administrative limit as
to the size of the result sets returned, which in our case has defaulted
to 50.

I have to periodically query the directory and have all results
returned, in order to perform an operation on all users periodically.

As I understand it, I can achieve this using the PagedResultsControl (in
Java), which returns results in small chunks rather than one big blob.

When I try to use this control, I get the error:

LDAP: error code 12 - Unavailable Critical Extension

I understand from this error message that the paged control is not
supported by FDS?

Before trying to get PagedResultsControl to work, I need to clarify at
the outset: Am I approaching this the right way?

Is there an alternative method I should be using to return large result
sets, without being forced to receive all results in one big blob,
triggering administrative limits?

Regards,
Graham