[Fedora-directory-users] FDS and PagedResultsControl

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Mon Mar 2 17:34:44 UTC 2009

> Graham Leggett wrote:
>>
>> Normal users on the directory are subject to an administrative limit
>> as to the size of the result sets returned, which in our case has
>> defaulted to 50.
>>
>> I have to periodically query the directory and have all results
>> returned, in order to perform an operation on all users periodically.
>>
>> As I understand it, I can achieve this using the PagedResultsControl
>> (in Java), which returns results in small chunks rather than one big
>> blob.
The paged results control isn't the way to work around the size limit
(and there's also the fact that it isn't supported !).
As Rich said, configure the server to override the limit for the user
you're binding as (the directory manager
always overrides the limit btw). There's no problem with receiving the
results 'all in one big blob' because TCP
backpressure ensures that entries are not sent to the client until
they're read by the application (modulo the TCP
window size and OS buffering).