[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Total number of LDAP entries

Branimir branimir.pejakovic at fina.hr
Tue Mar 10 15:14:28 UTC 2009

David Boreham wrote:
> Branimir wrote:
>> so there is no way to find the number of total LDAP entries stored in
>> FDC?
> Obviously that's a ridiculous statement. You could at the very least
> perform a search that
> returns all entries and count them !
>
> The server however does not maintain a running count itself. So one way
> or another you will
> need to count the entries.
>
> Unless...you configure a VLV index covering the target entries (e.g. all
> entries). This will
> as a side-effect maintain the count, which can be retrieved with the
> appropriate VLV search.

Hi David and Rocio,

David:
well, I know that I can perform search and count them. I hoped that
there is some shell command implemented in FDS that could provide this
number. I administer commercial LDAP solution that provides such
command. In my case this commercial solution charges per directory entry
so I always have to know entry count. I was hoping FDC has some kind of
equivalent command.

Rocio:
Thank you for your effort!

Thanks!