[Fedora-directory-users] Admin-server/config-server

tamarin p tamarinp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:09:00 UTC 2009

Hey,

I've installed Fedora DS 1.1.3 on RHEL5 and configured two server instances
using setup-ds-admin.pl. It seems to work fine, including single-master
replication. I can manage both servers through the fedora-idm-console.

I'm left with some some questions I couldn't find answers to in the
documentation however, and was hoping someone could help me clear some of
them.

1) The Red Hat documentation makes references to both an admin server and a
configuration server. I can't seem to get a handle on what's what. Is it
simply two terms for the same thing or does one refer to the web-interface
while the other refers to the o=NetscapeRoot suffix on one of the ldap
instances?

2) Slightly connected with 1). Is it advisable to create a completely
separate ldap instance for the configuration server or does one generally
just use the first instance created? For example in my test setup I created
two instances. slapd-primary and slapd-secondary, where the configuration
server for secondary was set to ldap://ldap.test.org:389/o=NetscapeRoot. I'm
assuming pointers to all servers managed by this console etc. is stored
here. Would it instead be advisable to have a completely separate instance
for this, so that instead of slapd-primary and slapd-secondary, I'd have
slapd-admin, slapd-primary and slapd-secondary? In production (and further
along in my testing) they would all live on separate boxes obviously.

3) I'm assuming it's only possible to have one admin console/config server
per machine. Ie not possible to have four server instances on the same box
but have the first two managed through one console and the remaining two
through another (on the same machine)?