[Fedora-directory-users] Admin-server/config-server

tamarin p tamarinp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:25:39 UTC 2009

2009/3/11 Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>

> tamarin p wrote:
>

>> 3) I'm assuming it's only possible to have one admin console/config server
>> per machine. Ie not possible to have four server instances on the same box
>> but have the first two managed through one console and the remaining two
>> through another (on the same machine)?
>>
> There can be only 1 admin server per machine.  The admin server on that
> machine manages all directory server instances on that machine.  You can
> create directory server instances that cannot be managed in the console at
> all using setup-ds.pl.  I don't know if that answers your question.

Thanks for the explanation, Rich.

One additional question with regards to the above, though, if I may:
Does this mean it's not intended/possible to register ldap instance(s) on
machine A with the config-server on machine B? I assumed it was because
answering "yes" on the register-with-existing-configserv step in
setup-ds-admin.pl prompts you for a full ldap-URL. However, creating an
instance with setup-ds.pl and then later running register-ds-admin.pl it
only seems possible to register locally by folder/identifier, not ldap-URL.