[389-users] Size limit

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 14:57:26 UTC 2010

Mister Anonyme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The default value of response size limit in directory server is 2000
> entries.
>
> I couldn't find any documentation that explains clearly what could
> cause any issues if I set it to unlimited (-1).  I have some clients
> that would want to get a bulk response according to some search
> patterns.  Actually, we have around 5000 objects that could be
> returned to clients.
>
> Is by putting a size limit to -1 would cause an impact to the server
> performance ?
It depends.  How many entries in your database?  How many clients?  Are
clients able to execute arbitrary searches?  Are you worried about
clients possibly doing a DoS attack?

> Why does the size limit exists? Because of small clients and networks
> with high latency/low bandwith ?
Yes, and to curb DoS attacks.

> What is the difference between getting a bulk response in one shot and
> in paged mode;  I mean does the paged mode really relieve the load on
> the server side, ie: sending 1000 responses in 5 pages instead of
> giving 5000 responses in one shot ?
Most clients can handle 5000 responses in one shot, and deal with
sorting and paging if needed to display to the clients (e.g. in a GUI
application).  However, if you're talking about several hundred
thousand, you probably want the server to do the sorting and paging for you.