[389-users] Replica has no update vector.

Techie techchavez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:54:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Rich Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
> Techie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Winsync agreements simply to pull accounts from AD. No pass
>> sync configured, nothing pushed from Directory Server to AD, simply
>> pulling account info from AD to Directory Server with no password.
>>
>> I did full synchronization to pull accounts from AD and it was
>> successful, many accounts were populated.
>> My issue is that I get this in the error log..
>>
>> NSMMReplicationPlugin - agmt="cn=winsync" Replica has no update vector
>>
>> It seems that Winsync is working but I don't know how serious this is
>> or if it can be ignored. My feeling is that it must mean something
>> because it is consistently logging every 4 seconds.
>>
>> I did some reading and RUV is described as..
>> A collection of information within each replica that determines how up
>> to date the replica is with respect to other replicas for that
>> partition.
>> I also read that...
>> This information is stored on both the supplier and the consumer and
>> that it determines which changes need to be replicated..And that each
>> server should know more about its own replica ID than the other
>> servers do.
>>
>> I am probably missing the obvious as I have only 1 replica..  can
>> someone please help my understanding?
>>
> It seems that windows sync can require several initializations before it
> starts working correctly.
Thanks for the answer.
I have a few questions that will help my understanding.

1)By initializations you mean to do a full resynchronization or just
send and receive updates?

2)Once I have already done an initial full resynchronization and my
accounts are populated in 389, will initiating another full
resynchronization delete all account information in 389 and pull it
back down, or will it just search for changes? I have attributes that
I have added and dont want to lose those by doing a full
resynchronization. The documentation indicates that it will not
delete, just looking for confirmation.

3)I have already populated 389 via winsync. Can I import these
accounts onto another server and then create a Winsync agreement to AD
and have that agreement search for any changes? I mean will Winsync
leave my accounts intact in the 389 directory? Almost the same
question as the last except I need to move these accounts to a new
server eventually and want to keep all attributes and mods intact on
the new server.

4)All the accounts created by winsync in 389 have the ntUser
objectClass. However according to the documentation they should not
attempt to sync to AD unless they have the ntUserCreateNewAccount
attribute. Is this correct?

Thanks again
TC