[389-users] changelogdb has gotten large...

Hartmann, Tim hartmann at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 12 20:17:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've run into a situation where one of the files in  /var/lib/dirsrv/<instance>/changelogdb has grown almost as large as the partition it's on.   In my directory server configs, I noticed I was keeping an unlimited changelog, so I set that to what seems like a reasonably long amount of time (18 weeks) but didn't see any decrease in the file size.  I'm wondering now about the best course of action. I can

a) move the whole dirsrv directory to another partition with more space available and symlink the old location to the new, which worked when I tested it, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be hosing something up the next time I upgrade.

b) find some means of manually shrinking the *.db ( can you even do that?)

c) point dirsrv at a new location, and reinitialize the consumers (which doesn't seem all that desirable)

Has anyone else found it necessary to shrink your changelogdb?

Thanks

-Tim