[389-users] DNA plugin woes on a fresh centos-DS 8.1 install (now with a disastrous crash condition!)

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 18:25:25 UTC 2010

On 04/14/2010 03:02 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:
> On 04/14/2010 11:45 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:
>

>> When i use the console to add a new user, it expects there to be a value
>> in three fields : UID Number, GID Number, and Home Directory.  The
>> console will not create the entry if those fields are empty.  If i
>>
> This raises another question : if the fields are mandatory in the
> console, will the DNA plug-in accept the values as entered, or will it
> generate new values and overwrite those specified in the console ?

DNA does not prevent you setting a specific value.  It will only
generate a value if you omit the attribute or set it to the magic value
that you configured.  If you set the magic value in console, it will be
overwritten with the DNA generated value.  I don't recall if Console
considers the uidNumber and gidNumber fields to be mandatory or not (the
schema does, but DNA runs before the schema check occurs on the server
side).  The magic value can be used if Console requires a value to be set.
> If it's the former, how then can the DNA plug-in be used at all ?  If
> it's the latter, is it still possible to manually specify values if the
> need arises ?

The above paragraph should answer all of these questions.