[389-users] DNA plugin woes on a fresh centos-DS 8.1 install (now with a disastrous crash condition!)

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 15:02:38 UTC 2010

On 04/15/2010 12:43 AM, Daniel Maher wrote:

>>> This raises another question : if the fields are mandatory in the
>>> console, will the DNA plug-in accept the values as entered, or will it
>>> generate new values and overwrite those specified in the console ?
>>>

>> DNA does not prevent you setting a specific value.  It will only
>> generate a value if you omit the attribute or set it to the magic value
>> that you configured.  If you set the magic value in console, it will be
>> overwritten with the DNA generated value.  I don't recall if Console
>> considers the uidNumber and gidNumber fields to be mandatory or not (the
>> schema does, but DNA runs before the schema check occurs on the server
>> side).  The magic value can be used if Console requires a value to be set.
>>
> As i mentioned previously, the console requires there to be values in
> the uidNumber and gidNumber fields.  If there are no values, clicking «
> OK » generates an error message, and thus the entry is never created.
> If you add values, then DNA is irrelevant since you've manually entered
> said numbers.

That's why you need to set a magic value in the DNA config and use them
in the Console.  For example, you could configure the value "1" to be a
magic value for your uidNumber and gidNumber DNA ranges.  If you then
add a user in Console with the value of "1" for the uidNumber and
gidNumber fields, DNA will generate new values from the ranges and
overwrite the values of "1" you specified with the generated values.
> In other words, via the console, there is no way to have DNA generate
> the uidNumber and gidNumber values when creating a new user.

There is a way if you use magic values.