[389-users] Random failures on startTLS

Aaron Hagopian airhead1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 19:42:15 UTC 2010

I am having a hard time programmatically getting the ABANDON requests to
show up.  In my local environment I cannot reproduce at all (Fedora 12
x86_64) but on all our server environments I see these in the logs.  The
oddest thing about it is I only see these when running in tomcat on either
our CentOS or RHEL  machines (i386 and x86_64 platforms).  Running a
standalone java program does not create the ABANDON requests, only in
tomcat.  A little research shows that tomcat does have its own
implementation of JNDI but that doesn't then explain why in my local
environment (running same versions of java/tomcat/389ds) this does not
happen.    I will try to find any further relevant differences between my
local environment and the servers where the messages show up.

For now we are just going SSL all the time on our connections which seems to
fix the problem since we no longer need the startTLS.