[389-users] Memory alloc error

Techie techchavez at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 19:21:49 UTC 2010

Hello,

I recently moved from 389 to RHDS.
The system is 32 bit RHEL5 with 4GB of RAM.

My instance of RHDS recently stopped suddenly.
The error log shows the following..

[17/Apr/2010:22:28:27 -0700] memory allocator - calloc of 1 elems of
10664 bytes failed; OS error 12 (Cannot allocate memory)
The server has probably allocated all available virtual memory. To solve
this problem, make more virtual memory available to your server, or reduce
one or more of the following server configuration settings:
  nsslapd-cachesize        (Database Settings - Maximum entries in cache)
  nsslapd-cachememsize     (Database Settings - Memory available for cache)
  nsslapd-dbcachesize      (LDBM Plug-in Settings - Maximum cache size)
  nsslapd-import-cachesize (LDBM Plug-in Settings - Import cache size).
Can't recover; calling exit(1).

I have used FDS/389 for nearly 2 years and had not encountered this
error so not sure where to start.
The settings for the above mentioned
parameters(cachesize,cachememsize,dbcachesize,import-cachesize) are
identical to the setting on my instances of FDS/389. I am assuming
these are the defaults and are not the cause of the problem.

I read this thread  http://osdir.com/ml/general/2010-04/msg00801.html
This thread mentions having your nsslapd-cachememsize large enough to
hold your db in memory.
I don't know if this is relevant or not.. I do remember seeing that
Fedora dynamically increased cache sizes on my boxes with FDS/389
instances in the past. I am not sure if RHEL does the same or if that
is the issue.

My nsslapd-cachememsize is set to ..
nsslapd-cachememsize: 10485760

My id2entry.db4 sizes for each of my 3 DBs are..
40MB, 22MB, and 6MB..

Is there some way to help me to identify what may have caused the
issue? Perhaps a setting on RHEL5 as opposed to Fedora needs to be
tweaked or set as far as the OS is concerned.

My package info is below.

Thank you

Name        : redhat-ds-admin              Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8.1.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 9.el5dsrv                     Build Date: Wed 08 Apr
2009 04:53:46 PM PDT
Summary     : Red Hat Administration Server (admin)
######

Name        : redhat-admin-console         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8.1.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 2.el5dsrv                     Build Date: Tue 03 Mar
2009 02:24:39 PM PST
Summary     : Red Hat Admin Server Management Console
######

Name        : redhat-ds-console            Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8.1.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 5.el5dsrv                     Build Date: Wed 25 Mar
2009 04:44:52 PM PDT
Summary     : Red Hat Directory Server Management Console
######

Name        : redhat-ds-base               Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8.1.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 0.14.el5dsrv                  Build Date: Tue 21 Apr
2009 11:32:00 AM PDT
Summary     : Red Hat Directory Server (base)
######

Name        : redhat-ds                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8.1.0                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.el5dsrv                     Build Date: Tue 17 Mar
2009 04:36:44 PM PDT
Summary     : Red Hat Directory, Administration, and Console Suite
######

Name        : redhat-idm-console           Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.0.1                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.el5idm                      Build Date: Wed 08 Apr
2009 09:34:10 AM PDT
Summary     : Red Hat Management Console
######