[389-users] case sensitivity and matching rules

Christopher Wood christopher_wood at pobox.com
Tue Apr 20 16:53:34 UTC 2010

I'm puzzling over case-sensitivity, attributes, and matching rules in 389.

I have an attribute (oid slightly munged for privacy):

attributeTypes: (
1.2.3.4
NAME 'ldapAuthLogin'
DESC 'Account login name'
SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15
SINGLE-VALUE
X-ORIGIN 'user defined'
)

It doesn't look like there's a matching rule associated with this.

How does 389 decide which matching rules to apply here?

(In this case, per ldapsearch, it seems to be a case-insensitive string match.)

My apologies if this is obviously answered somewhere, I've pored over the docs and the mailing list archives and haven't found it yet.