[389-users] Clarification on admin server and console

Jonathan Boulle Jonathan.Boulle at betfair.com
Thu Aug 12 20:06:12 UTC 2010

I've been trawling through the documentation trying to get a better
understanding of "best practices" for use of the console and admin
server in an environment with a large number of directory servers.  In
the perfect scenario, we would like to be able to manage the entire
estate (multiple locations) using one instance of the console; or
perhaps one console per location. Unfortunately I'm not finding it
straightforward.

I understand that on a (physical/virtual) server there can be multiple
directory server instances but only one admin server instance. However,
what I'm wondering is whether it is possible for an instance of the
admin server to manage directory servers on different boxes. For
example, could I have one admin server per location - where a location
houses X physical servers each running a DS instance (a mix of read-only
consumers and read-write suppliers)? This brings obvious benefits as
regards easier backup and a single point of administration, but also
becomes a bit of a single point of failure.

If not, is it necessary/standard to run an admin server per physical
server, and then group them in the console by having them all share a
single configuration server (as specified in setup-ds-admin.pl)?
Although again this creates a single POF, at least with administration -
or have I got the wrong end of the stick entirely?

One more point: the Console and Admin Server documentation has diagrams
which reference "external programs"; what kind of things does this refer
to? Is there a typical use case?

Thanks
Jonathan