[389-users] Clarification on admin server and console

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 14:46:38 UTC 2010

Jonathan Boulle wrote:

> I've been trawling through the documentation trying to get a better
> understanding of "best practices" for use of the console and admin
> server in an environment with a large number of directory servers.  In
> the perfect scenario, we would like to be able to manage the entire
> estate (multiple locations) using one instance of the console; or
> perhaps one console per location. Unfortunately I'm not finding it
> straightforward.
>

> I understand that on a (physical/virtual) server there can be multiple
> directory server instances but only one admin server instance.
> However, what I'm wondering is whether it is possible for an instance
> of the admin server to manage directory servers on different boxes.
> For example, could I have one admin server per location - where a
> location houses X physical servers each running a DS instance (a mix
> of read-only consumers and read-write suppliers)? This brings obvious
> benefits as regards easier backup and a single point of
> administration, but also becomes a bit of a single point of failure.

There must be an admin server on the physical machine that hosts the
directory server.  Some of the admin server tasks are CGI based e.g.
certificate management, log viewing, server stop/start/restart.  These
cannot be done remotely.

> If not, is it necessary/standard to run an admin server per physical
> server, and then group them in the console by having them all share a
> single configuration server (as specified in setup-ds-admin.pl)?
> Although again this creates a single POF, at least with administration
> - or have I got the wrong end of the stick entirely?
>

> One more point: the Console and Admin Server documentation has
> diagrams which reference "external programs"; what kind of things does
> this refer to? Is there a typical use case?

I'm not sure (can you provide a URL?) but the "external programs" are
probably the aforementioned CGI programs.