[389-users] Clarification on admin server and console

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Aug 18 14:07:09 UTC 2010

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
>>> What is also frustrating is that the script is so quiet about why it failed. I was running setup-ds-admin with -ddd It appears that the script used to configure the >>admin server does net get passed the debug flags.
>>>
>>> Any further ideas?
>>>

>> I was afraid of that.  The admin server part doesn't like it that
>> NetscapeRoot already exists, and instead of just continuing, it errors
>> and exits.  If you are a perl hacker, I suppose you could hack the
>> AdminUtil.pm and/or AdminServer.pm.
>>
>>> Regards
>>>

> Thanks, afraid not, I generally try to stay away from Perl.

+1
> Is it worthwhile supporting ldif files during the initial install? It does seem to add a lot of complexity.

It allows you to do a lot of customization at the same time as running
setup, using relatively simple LDIF files, without having to resort to
writing scripts.
> For me whether I run a few scripts during installation of after does not matter that much. Aesthetically it is probably nicer to have all configuration in one place i.e. in the install script. It would be nice to be able to specify when additional ldif files should be executed.
Yes, but that quickly gets into script territory and out of LDIF territory.
> Is that the purpose of InstallLdifFile or is that only during the slapd setup?

The purpose of InstallLdifFile is to allow you to populate your data
(i.e. your users and groups) at setup time.