[389-users] Fedora Management Console simply hangs when trying to create user

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Feb 1 21:55:13 UTC 2010

Sean Carolan wrote:
>> Which yum repo?  Note that all of the new 389 packages are in EPEL now -
>> see http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_Notes
>>

> I didn't change the yum repo from when I first installed fedora-ds.  I
> mistakenly assumed that the developers would not move the repo around
> once they set it up.
Sorry about that.  Anyone know how I can set up a redirect from the old
repo to epel?
> I have removed all the packages, set up the new
> repo, and used yum to reinstall them all.
>

>> 389-admin-1.1.10 fixes a problem with SELinux support (quite possibly
>> the one you had to turn off SELinux to get around).
>>

> Ok, that's fine, I have disabled SElinux as it's generally more
> trouble than it's worth IMHO.  Too many little gotchas with various
> software packages.  At least I will leave it off until I can get the
> directory server somewhat functional.

Ok.

>> Does 389-console -D 9 produce any output whatsoever????
>>

> Yes, this time it produced some output. There seems to be something
> preventing all the GUI text from rendering correctly.
>
> http://carolan.ws/console.log

Hmm - nothing there to indicate a problem with the GUI.  Is that it?  Is
this really the last line?

ResourceSet: found in cache loader9690857:com.netscape.management.client.util.default

Usually these sorts of problems are related to Java, X windows/fonts,
running the console remotely via ssh or vnc, etc.  but there's nothing
here to suggest that.

> I downloaded the windows version of the management console and it
> seems to be working now!
You installed the .msi file on Linux?????
> Kind of a hacky solution but that's how
> Linux users roll eh?
What exactly did you do?