[389-users] Migrating to LDAP authentication

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:05:08 UTC 2010

>> Any suggestions for migrating accounts from /etc/shadow into the LDAP
>> database?  I tried this LdapImport perl script but it threw a bunch of
>> errors and ultimately failed:
>
> At the time I did the initial import here, I put together a really ugly
> shell script that used a few cuts, greps and/or seds against the passwd
> and shadow files to build an LDIF, and then dumped it in with an
> ldapmodify command.
>
> It's actually easier than it sounds once you're familiar with the
> posixAccount schema and which passwd attribute maps to which LDAP
> attribute.

I only have eight or ten users who need accounts initially, we may
just have them enter their passwords by hand...

Incidentally I did try the openldap migrate_all_online.sh script that
is recommended here:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:MigrateToLDAP

But it failed with a SASL error.  I suppose that might be due to my
not having ssl setup?