[389-users] How to use existing SSL cert?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Feb 3 17:30:05 UTC 2010

Sean Carolan wrote:
> They are standard x.509v3, RSA 1024 bit encrypted format.   Nothing
> exotic, they work fine on Apache web servers...

You first need to put them in pkcs12 format.  Use the openssl pkcs12 to
combine your existing server cert and private key into a pkcs12 file.

Then, use the pk12util to import your .p12 file into the directory server:

cd /etc/dirsrv/slapd-something
mv cert8.db cert8.db.save
mv key3.db key3.db.save
pk12util -i /path/to/your/file.p12 -d .

If you encrypted your .p12 file, you will have to give the decryption
password.  If prompted for the NSS db password, I think you should be
able to just hit Enter.

>>> 389-users at lists.fedoraproject.org