[389-users] With LDAP server stopped, local authentication fails...

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 17:00:51 UTC 2010

Here's a little more info on our little conundrum:

Only normal users who have ssh keys configured can log on.  Password
authentication does not work at all when the LDAP server is down.
sudo commands do not work at all, they simply hang.  I can't even
CTRL-C to cancel the sudo command after running it.

The moment I start up the LDAP server again all these problems go
away, and we are able to log on either with LDAP credentials or as a
normal, local user.

The problem is obviously somewhere on the client side of things, but
where?  Does anyone else out there use CentOS5 with LDAP for
authentication?  I can't imagine that my situation is unique.