[389-users] Doubt regarding 389 Client Home Directory?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:24:50 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 Ajeet S Raina <ajeetraina at gmail.com>:
> Hello Guys,
[snip]
> Now When I try logging into the server through :
>
> username: meet
> password:****
>
> It says:
>
> login as: snalamwar
> snal at 10.209.37.77's password:
> Last login: Wed Jan 13 03:00:09 2010 from 10.209.37.146
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/snal: No such file or directory
> -bash-3.2$
>
> Then I manually created a directory under /home as snal:
>
> mkdir /home/snal
>
> And Tried logging and this time it does login.
>
> Is this process correct?
> Do we need to create home directory manually.

Assuming that you are running on CentOS/Redhat, you have a couple options:

1) Run system-config-authentication. Go to the options tab, check the
box to create home directories.

2) Set up automount to mount a remote filesystem for the home directory.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. I use mostly option 2, with a
few critical machines on option 1.