[389-users] enabling posixGroup for a group (error : attribute "uidNumber" not allowed)

Daniel Maher dma+389users at witbe.net
Fri Jul 2 09:58:12 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am trying to get system groups working on 389-ds via the addition of
"posixGroup" as a value for a given LDAP group.

Numerous posts in the archives, as well as on other forums, seem to
indicate that it should be a relatively straightforward affair.  Here's
what i've tried via the console :

1. Creation of OU "systemgroups"
2. Creation of group "admin"
3. In advanced properties of group "admin", Object Class -> Add value ->
posixGroup
4. OK

However, this error appears in the log :

[02/Jul/2010:09:43:03 +0000] - Entry
"cn=admin,ou=systemgroups,dc=domain,dc=net" -- attribute "uidNumber" not
allowed

I am sure i have just missed something small, like the activation of a
plugin, or the integration of a particular schema.  I can create users
with associated posix data (uid, gid, homedir, etc...), so at least that
works. :)

Any help, or a push in the correct direction, would be greatly
appreciated.  Thank you, all.

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>