[389-users] Problems with running Management and Directory Consoles on remote servers

Daniel Maher dma+389users at witbe.net
Tue Jul 13 10:40:30 UTC 2010

On 07/13/2010 12:21 PM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> We are experiencing problems in our test environment with running or even just logging into the Management console when you run it on a remote server.
> The steps are:
> ssh -X<remote server>
> 389-console&
> wait ages for splash screen to show
> login dialog box eventually appears (>2 min) but empty no controls is drawn its just the outline
>
> Enabling ssh compression makes very little difference
>
> We have resorted to running 389-console on a local box and the connecting to the remote server with port forwarding trickery and alias localhost.

Hello,

We noticed exactly the same thing in our environment (also 389 1.2.5 on
CentOS 5.5).  Likewise, we now ssh -X to a local machine and run the
console from there, instead of from the remote site.

We chalked it up to latency in running a remote X session from a distant
location, and since we can run the console locally, we never bothered to
do any further research.  Now that we're not the only ones to have
experienced this behaviour, i wonder if there's not something more to it
than simple "slow Internet"...

Could you provide any further details about the state of the network(s)
between your local and remote sites ?  VPN ?

--
Daniel Maher <dma + 389users AT witbe DOT net>