[389-users] Slow logging

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 15:01:32 UTC 2010

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> In my lab system I am seeing quite a long delay(10+seconds) between the actual ldap request and the logging of the request in the access log. Is this normal behavior?
Yes.  By default, the access log is buffered.
> and can it be speeded up?
Yes.
ldapmodify -x -D "cn=directory manager" -w yourpassword
dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: nsslapd-accesslog-logbuffering
nsslapd-accesslog-logbuffering: off

but for high performance in production environments, it is recommended
to leave buffering on, or perhaps use the new Named Pipe Log Script.
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Named_Pipe_Log_Script