[389-users] Problems compiling svrcore

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 16:44:25 UTC 2010

Stefan-Michael Guenther wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> http://www.in-put.de/config.log (33KB)
>> Thanks. Sorry, I meant config.log, not config.status.
>>
>> This is your configure command:
>>
>> $ ./configure --with-nss-inc=/usr/include/ --with-nss-lib=/usr/lib/nss
>> --with-nspr-inc=/usr/local/include/nspr/ --with-nspr-lib=/usr/local/lib/
>> --with-nss=/usr/src/mozilla/security/nss/lib/nss.h
>>

>> This is incorrect for several reasons.
> >
> Thanks for your quick answer.
>
> I hope you don't mind when I say that it is obvious, that the command
> contains at least one error - otherwise I wouldn't need help.
In general, I think there is quite a bit of confusion between the system
NSS (Name Switch Service - man nss - e.g. /etc/nsswitch.conf) used for
naming services (hosts, passwd, etc.) and Mozilla NSS (Network Security
Services) used for cryptographic services.  In the interest of sanity, I
will refer to Mozilla NSS as moznss.

It's also incorrect because you specify both -with-nss-inc and
--wth-nss-lib you must not also specify --with-nss.

It's also incorrect because the values for --with-XXX= should be a _path
name_ not a _file name_.

--with-nss and --with-nspr take the _path name_ of a directory.  This
directory should contain a "lib" sub directory containing the shared
libraries, and should contain an "include" directory containing the .h
files.  Since this may not always be the case that the lib and include
sub-directories are in the same parent directory, separate
--with-nss-inc and --with-nss-lib switches were added to give you more
fine grained control.

> /usr/include/ contains nss.h - correct option?
This is system NSS, not moznss.  So, not correct option.
> /usr/lib/nss/ contains libnssdbm3.so - correct option?
This is system NSS, not moznss, so not correct option.
> /usr/local/include/nspr contains nspr.h - correct option?
It could be - did you build this one?
> /usr/local/lib/ contains libnspr4.so - correct option?
It could be - did you build this one?
> /usr/src/mozilla/security/nss/lib contains nss.h - correct option?
No, as I explained above.

> And, by the way, this is not my first attempt to compile software on a
> linux system. My first attempt was somewhere in 1995.
Ok.