[389-users] Sanity check for install approach

Jonathan Boulle Jonathan.Boulle at betfair.com
Thu Jul 29 13:53:31 UTC 2010

On closer examination of the doc, it appears that chaining updates is only possible when using database links.
However, as I infer, using database links removes the possibility of replication, because the link would pass any modification back to the remote database.
Thus, if you had a consumer configured with a database link back to a supplier, and then set up a replication agreement from the supplier to the consumer, it would be replicating to its own database!
Am I understanding this correctly?

Is there a way to achieve our desired scenario: where no clients can directly access a read-write supplier (i.e. referrals are disabled, because network access is blocked); but they're still able to change their passwords, because the read-only consumer chains the update request back to a supplier?

Cheers