[389-users] Demoting Supplier to Dedicated Consumer

Frank Fossa frank.fossa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:22:32 UTC 2010

I'm new to the 389/RedHat Directory Server world (have had many years
experience with other directory server products).  I've looked through the
documentation and did not see any directions on demoting a supplier to a
dedicated consumer.  I tried to demote through the console first by moving
the supplier to a hub and then to a dedicated consumer.  I thought all was
well until I restarted the instance.  Now I'm seeing the following messages
in the errors log:

consumer
[04/Mar/2010:11:47:13 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin - conn=6 op=3
replica="unknown": Unable to acquire replica: error: no such replica

supplier
[04/Mar/2010:11:47:14 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin - agmt="cn=agmt"
(xxxxxx): Unable to acquire replica: there is no replicated area "<suffix
root>" on the consumer server. Replication is aborting.
[04/Mar/2010:11:47:14 -0500] NSMMReplicationPlugin - agmt="cn=agmt"
(xxxxxx): Incremental update failed and requires administrator action

At this point, I fear I will need to re-create the demoted supplier (as a
consumer).  I would like to avoid that since this is a 25M entry test
database and could take a while to rebuild and configure.

Any thoughts how I can enable replication from the remaining suppliers to
this instance?

--
Frank Fossa