[389-users] modifying the server of the sync Agreement

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Mar 9 14:04:26 UTC 2010

jean-Noël Chardron wrote:
> hello,
>
> In my company, the AD server that is sync with a 389 directory server
> will be changed by a new one (because the actual AD is used and old and
> not eternal)
> In the documentation
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/admin/Windows_Sync.html
> I don't find the possibility to edit the name of the  AD in the Sync
> agreement in the console of 389.
> I suppose that I need to delete the previous sync agreement and create a
> new sync agreement with the new AD server.
> So I have question about this process :
> 1/ does the deleting sync agreement delete the data in the 389 directory
> server?

No.
> 2/ Do I need to create the new sync agreement before to delete the
> previous or vice versa ?

You should first delete the previous, then create a new one.

Alternately, you could stop the server, and edit the dse.ldif file
directly, and just change the name of the AD host.  That might work -
the DS uses the AD DirSync control to sync with AD - if the hostname/IP
address is part of the cookie, then incremental sync from AD to DS might
fail - in that case, you would have to re-init the sync (which is what
you would have to do anyway if you delete and add the agreement).