[389-users] How to rename DIT?

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat Mar 27 14:38:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 17:05 -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> >> With 389 1.2.6 you can do a subtree rename operation.  Otherwise, I
> >> suggest you
> >> dump to ldif
> >> run a script on the ldif to convert oldname to newname
> >> import from ldif
> >>
> > <snip>
> > Yes, the features in 1.2.6 have me drooling! But it looks like I'll need
> > to go the ldif route.  Any caveats, e.g., shutting down dirsrv before
> > starting? Is it as simple as dump, edit, import? Thanks - John
> >
> Anything under the subtree cn=config will need to be changed after the
> ldif dump and before importing the new data
> Also, anything under o=NetscapeRoot (if you're using the console) will
> likely need to change too if it refers to the old suffix
<snip>
Hmm . . . thinking this through in our relatively simple environment -
Single Master, one read only replica, one Windows synchronization
agreement.

If we dump and make the edits to userRoot and NetscapeRoot as well as
editing dse.ldif on each local LDAP server, does that cover everything
(even ACIs as I think about it) or do we still need to go into the
console and cleanup various bits manually including the cn=config (I
thought that was held in dse.ldif? Thanks - John