[389-users] suffix and sub-suffix usage

Francisco José Pérez González fperez.x at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:07:42 UTC 2010

On Lun 10 May 2010 18:09:46 Rich Megginson escribió:
> Francisco José Pérez González wrote:
> >  Hi, i have some problems with suffixs, im new to LDAP so maybe im
> >
> > misunderstanding concepts, Ok here it goes...
> >
> >  Im working with centos-ds. Im asking here beacause the solutions
> >  probably can
> >
> > be apllied in 389-like software such as centos. well, i have the server
> > up and running with some entries, but im interested on enabling diferent
> > databases for some objects. The idea is to have an especific
> > configuration for each object, because it represents diferents systems
> > that probably will have diferents resource needs and access controls.
>
> You don't need sub-suffixes for that.  You usually only need a
> sub-suffix if the underlying data needs to be distributed somehow like
> for a separate replication agreement, or a chaining database.
Very well, i had the feeling that suffix was not the way to go. For now Im not
planning to distribute my directory in a replication, multi-master mode etc. I
want to stay with just one standalone directory server.

What feature is needed to be enabled in order to achieve custom database
configurations?can this be implemented by setting up several logical databases
or it implies to do a distributed deployment?