[389-users] upgrading packages

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 14:25:34 UTC 2010

Angel Bosch Mora wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've some questions about upgrading:
>
> - must i run 'setup-ds-admin.pl -u' everytime there's a new package in the repos?

After each yum update that updates 389-ds-base and/or 389-admin
> - doesn't packaging take care of that?

In general, it can't.  The reason is that you may be using a centralized
configuration directory server to manage several hosts with one
389-console.  If you do that, the data that needs to be updated is on
the remote server which hosts the configuration directory server (the
one with the o=NetscapeRoot suffix).  We need to get at least the
console admin password to update that information remotely.
> - does it matter how many instances are configured?

It should not.