[389-users] Magic required for subtree password policy?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 14:57:37 UTC 2010

Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
> Hi
> The admin guide says that one should use ns-newpwpolicy.pl script to set subtree password policies on the command line. Can we also set this using ldifs or is there some magic that this script perform that can't be achieved by using ldifs?

Depends on what you mean by magic.  If you're starting from scratch, a
clean tree, you should be able to do everything by ldif files +
ldapmodify.  If you want to add to or modify an existing subtree
password policy, that may be difficult to do with just ldif files - you
may have to search first, then alter your ldif based on the search results.

The ns-newpwpolicy.pl script essentially just generates ldif and passes
that to ldapmodify.

See
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html-single/Administration_Guide/index.html#Configuring_the_Password_Policy-Configuring_SubtreeUser_Password_Policy_Using_the_Command_Line