[389-users] Safeguarding against to many established connections

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at betfair.com
Tue Oct 19 10:11:25 UTC 2010

Hi
We have recently seen an issue were a single client opened up more than 800 established connections to our directory server. The client did have the proper settings configured and should have closed connections but it did'nt. Is there a way to limit the amount of connections per client or close connections from the server side after a certain period? Without just making the amount of connections ridicuosly high on the directory server how can you safeguard against rogue clients.

Our client setting is as follows:
idle_timelimit                  5
timelimit                       10
bind_timelimit                  5

We were unable to log into client and it had file system issues so we could not do any further analyses there.

I suspect that solutions to this problem probably falls outside of what can be configured in 389?

Regards