[389-users] Getting started with 389 DS

harry.devine at faa.gov harry.devine at faa.gov
Fri Oct 22 20:12:34 UTC 2010

I just installed 389 DS on a laptop running CentOS 5.4 to start getting
familiar with it.  I got it installed correctly (answered all of the
questions in the setup-ds-admin.pl script, verified that the dirsrv and
dirsrv-admin services are running), but when I run the 389-console, I
can't log in.  I'm entering the username and password that I used in the
setup script, but I keep getting "Cannot login because of an incorrect
User ID, incorrect password, or Directory problem.
java.io.InterruptedIOException: HTTP response timeout".

What am I doing wrong?  I'm trying to follow the docs at
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation but they seem to
jump all over the place.  I did find a tutorial at
http://www.linuxmail.info/389-directory-server-setup-howto-centos-5/, but
I'm stuck at the first step under "Administering 389 Directory Server". Do
I have to reinstall the 389 DS?  Is there a place that I can clear
out/reset the admin password to get in?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry Devine