[389-users] SSHA and friends

Brandon G bjg at solv.com
Wed Sep 22 18:56:56 UTC 2010

Nathan Kinder wrote:
> On 09/22/2010 10:45 AM, Gerrard Geldenhuis wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> This is probably OT but I am not having much luck with google. How
>> can I create SSHA512 strings? I have been using either a php script
>> or slappasswd to create SSHA password but not sure how to do SSHA512.
>> openssl can create the SHA512 digest but I am not sure how to add the
>> random seed bit. My question probably illuminate my lack of
>> understanding of the subject.
>>
> Why are you pre-hashing passwords?  You can set the password storage
> scheme to SSHA512 in 389 and provide a cleartext userPassword value to
> the server and it will hash it for you.

Actually, as a side note I would like to know how the format of {SSHA}
and friends compare to the conventional unix $1$seed$hash for MD5,
$2$seed$hash etc and so forth.  Notably, is it possible to convert a
$1$xxxx into a {MD5...} or similar hash.  Where is the Seed in SSHA?  Is
it a fixed length?

-Brandon