[389-users] Change name of server, admin-server no longer works

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Aug 1 15:32:10 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 08:34 AM, Techie wrote:
> 2011/7/29 夜神 岩男<supergiantpotato at yahoo.co.jp>:

>>> The admin-server is the Java front end/interface that allows you to
>>> admin the server via http.
>>> So you connect like..
>>> http://myserver:9080
>>> Then you can admin the LDAP instance via GUI.
>>> LDAP works fine.. It is the Java admin-server that is broken. It is
>>> broken because hte references under the config files under
>>> /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv are pointing to the incorrect host name. I am
>>> not sure if me simply changing all references to the new hostname will
>>> fix it.
>> Fixing the hostname references is part of it, and if you are using
>> certificates specific to the admin-server to authenticate then they need
>> to be updated/replaced as well to avoid things like instance/realm or
>> nss hostname check problems.
>>
>> The config files should contain lots of references to the old hostname
>> (unless a magical script fixed them when you weren't looking), and those
>> must be changed. Don't forget to look places like nss.conf, and weirder
>> areas like filnames of auth keys (and make sure to check silly spots
>> like hosts.conf to make sure NetworkManager or whatever didn't append
>> the new hostname in there somewhere (like an unused IPv6 line), or mix
>> and match old and new hostnames, as this can break random authentication
>> things related to Kerberos and NSS). Some files have hostname info
>> tagged at the end of them, and things that point to them must be lined up.
>>
>> I would start by walking myself back through manual setup steps as if I
>> were setting up admin-server on a new system to make sure I didn't miss
>> anything and then recreating my authentication keys if necessary.
>>
>> Fixing a partially broken authentication setup *sucks*. In situations
>> like that if the machine isn't the sole server (a slave is out there
>> somewhere), I'll just re-install the server packages to make sure
>> nothing is missed and then replicate back from the slave or a backup
>> because re-setting nitpicky manual setups without doing them 100% from
>> the beginning can be a real pain.
>>
>> -Iwao
>> --
> Is there any way I can fix the name of the Directory server and
> Admin-Server  by using setup-ds-admin.pl? I'd rather not blow things
> away and import the data.
You can't do it with setup-ds-admin.pl

You'll have to first do a search of the directory server for the old
hostname

I suggest using mozldap ldapsearch because of the -T option to disable
LDIF line wrapping.
/usr/lib64/mozldap/ldapsearch -T -b o=netscaperoot "objectclass=*" \*
aci | grep oldhostname
and
/usr/lib64/mozldap/ldapsearch -T -b cn=config "objectclass=*" \* aci |
grep oldhostname

If you have to use openldap ldapsearch, see
http://richmegginson.livejournal.com/18726.html

You'll have to use ldapmodify to change attribute values to use the new
hostname.

You'll also have to change /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf to use the
new hostname.

Finally, see http://port389.org/wiki/DS_Admin_Migration#Note_about_hostnames