[389-users] 1.2.7.5 process disappearing, replication failing

Andrew Kerr andrew.kerr at amdocs.com
Wed Feb 2 16:06:09 UTC 2011

I'm running a single master with 13 replicas, all CentOS 5.5.  The master, and a few of the slaves, are running 1.2.7.5.  We were previously on 1.2.4, with most replicas still on that version.

All of a sudden, the 1.2.7.5 replicas slapd process had just started to disappear.  Nothing in the error log with level at 8192.  Its just gone.  I can start it up and it'll last about 5 minutes.  Replication is what seems to be breaking - it seems to go away right after an update.

I've tried rolling the replicas back to 1.2.4, but when I initialize the consumers I get "Unable to parse the response to the startReplication extended operation.  Replication is aborting".

Any suggestions on where to go from this point?  It seems 1.2.7.5 is HIGHLY unstable.  But it seems it can't initialize 1.2.4 replicas (??), or maybe it just doesn't work at all.

I'm not sure what the safe way is to roll back the master from 1.2.7.5, can I use "yum downgrade" safely?  At least now my  master and the replicas on 1.2.4 are working, I don't want to risk completely taking down ldap.

Is there a good stable version I ought to be at?  I upgraded from 1.2.4 because of a number of other bugs, although none of them as bad as 1.2.7.5 seems to be.

Thanks - any help is greatly appreciated.