[389-users] Giving up 389ds

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at betfair.com
Wed Feb 9 13:46:32 UTC 2011

You will probably experience the same level of frustration with other open source products. People give their free time to look into your questions and have other responsibilities apart too. You are trying to achieve a notoriously difficult thing which is not necessarily made difficult by either 389DS or AD but by how authentication systems have been designed on top of them. There is commercial tools out there to do what you want to do but you will find them rather expensive and not necessarily any better when you get down to nuts and bolts. You are also free to buy the official Directory Server product Red Hat and then get the support you need/want to get it configured.

I wanted to give up on 389 a number of times but in the past because of frustrations but in 99% of cases the problem was my lack of understanding or other Linux components at fault. I have had all bugs that I have filled actively looked or fixed and found that if I respect the developers time by submitting well written and researched bug reports I get a corresponding return in promptness of reply.

Best of luck with finding something else and let us know what you replace it with so we can investigate it too.

Regards