[389-users] 389 Server and MMR

cfr100 at acm.org cfr100 at acm.org
Sat Feb 19 04:13:40 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to set up 389 on a CenOS 5.5 machine using the
setup-ds-admin.pl script and the mmr.pl script. They seem to be
inconsistent with each other.

setup-ds-admin.pl wants a "directory server identifier" (defaults to
short name). This becomes the slapd instance name in /etc/dirsrv.

mmr.pl wants a fqdn for host1 and host2. It then creates an instance
in /etc/dirsrv based on this long name (failed attempt to update the
existing instance??).

Henceforth, a "service dirsrv restart" will try to stop and start
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-hostname and /etc/dirsrv/slapd-fqdn. The later will
fail and replication will no succeed. setup-ds-admin.pl fails if you
give fqdn as an identifier. mmr.pl fails if you give a short name for
host.

And there is no method to really start over. setup-ds-admin.pl seems
to spew files and directories across at least /etc, /var/spool and
/var/run.

Am I missing something? What is the recommended way of doing this?

Thanks
Chuck