[389-users] 389 Directory server + passwd problem

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Jan 4 21:43:20 UTC 2011

On 12/30/2010 03:24 AM, MAP 007 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently i have setup 389 DS on my CentOS machine.Now yesterday i m
> able to reset user's password. Now i m not able to reset it....
>
> I have checked my directory server's setting and found that i have
> mistakenly set "disallow_pw_change_aci" ACL. Now i have deleted this
> one. But whenever i restart my dirsrv and dirsrv-admin services i see
> "disallow_pw_change_aci" ACL again in my directory server.
>
> Que.1 Now how to remove parmanently ?
How are you deleting it?  What exactly are you doing?  Are you using
replication?

> And secondly when i remove this from directory server and then try to
> change password
What is the exact command you are using to change the password?
Can you post excerpts from your access log showing the password change
operation?
> i am getting below error:-
>
> LDAP password information update failed: Server is unwilling to perform
> user is not allowed to change password
> passwd: Permission denied
>
> Que.2 Now how to sort out this one... ?
>
> Que.3 And one more question is, where i will find all these logs...if
> someone file these command at client as well as server machine(i.e.
> ldapsearch, ldapadd, ldapdelete, passwd, passwd lock etc...)
I don't think there are any client side logs - maybe /var/log/messages
or /var/log/secure?

The server side logs should have some information -
/var/log/dirsrv/slapd-yourinstance/access and errors